Subject: Re: LFS
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Barron <sb125499@oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/2001 09:44:32
--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 05:48:56AM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
> Bernd, I have two questions about your comments on LFS:
>=20
> (a) You say that it is ``an order of magnitude faster'' for unpacking than
> FFS with softdeps.  Is this literally true?  At least 10 times faster?  Or
> do you just mean ``really a whole lot faster''?  If it's not really an
> order of magnitude faster, can you estimate the real performance gain for
> unpacking tarballs?
>=20

I did some "testing" on my system last summer.  One of my tests was
extracting the pkgsrc tarball.  On an FFS mounted partition it takes
around 15 minutes.  On an LFS partition it was under 2 minutes.  The
results for rm -rf'ing pkgsrc were similar.  This isn't the best=20
benchmark, but its where I was looking for performance.  I made=20
/usr/pkgsrc an LFS partition because it's where I do the most
extracting and removal of things.  Not to mention that if it gets hosed
its no big deal to blow away pkgsrc and start again.

My setup was a K6 233 with 64M RAM and an IBM 60G deskstar drive (IDE)
using NetBSD 1.5.1.

-Scott

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c--