Subject: Re: LFS
To: Bernd Sieker , <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/2001 05:48:56
Bernd, I have two questions about your comments on LFS:

(a) You say that it is ``an order of magnitude faster'' for unpacking than
FFS with softdeps.  Is this literally true?  At least 10 times faster?  Or
do you just mean ``really a whole lot faster''?  If it's not really an
order of magnitude faster, can you estimate the real performance gain for
unpacking tarballs?

(b) Are you running a regular release, or are you running some flavor of
-current?

(I've never set up LFS, but if I can really get a 10x improvement, or
something close to that, it'd be worth looking into for something
non-critical like pkgsrc and /usr/src...  I tend to have those
trees populated, and it does take a while to unpack the tarballs...(^&)