Subject: Re: LFS
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/2001 10:52:33
On 04.12.01, 16:53:13, One Without Reason wrote:

> What is the problem with mounting LFS filesystems from /etc/fstab on
> startup?  I want to use an LFS as my /usr.

No problem. I use LFS for /usr/src and one other partition, and have
it mounted at startup automatically.

LFS is not recommended for vital partitions, (such as /usr),
though. since it is still considered "beta". It may develop
inconsistencies and you may even lose it entirely even in normal
operation.

I have in the past had inconsistencies that led to a kernel panic just
mounting the LFS. Sometimes read-only mounting allows to backup most
of the contents. To get it usable again, fsck will not do, but the
filesystem will sometimes have to be re-formatted.

Note that in fsck_lfs(8) it says under BUGS:

  "fsck_lfs cannot currently [...] correct all of the errors it can detect."

And some of these errors might lead to kernel panics when trying to
use the LFS.

That said, for the two partitions I use it on, it has served me
well. Unpacking source trees is an order of magnitude faster than even
FFS with softdep. So is deleting source trees.

In recent months I have only had problems with it when one disk
developed bad blocks.

You mileage may vary.

--
Bernd Sieker