Subject: Disk-light workstations?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/03/2001 02:59:09
Hello!

It may have something to do with the fact that I've been
messing with partitions, but I was thinking about disk-light
workstations yesterday evening.

If I were building a machine that had little disk space, but
was connected to a network that could serve up NFS shares,
what would I keep local to the workstation? I was guessing a
root partition with a kernel and perhaps some other odds &
ends on it, along with a swap partition.

Looking at Bushfire (the machine I just installed), / is
under 21Mb (I'm not sure how quickly that will grow), so
perhaps each workstation could have a fairly ordinary /
partition locally and mount /usr over the network?

About this time last year, Havard Eidnes asked...

  HA> I don't suppose that NetBSD lends itself to being
    > burned onto an [E]PROM?

             ...which is still a question that intrigues me.

Regards,
  - Andy Ball.