Subject: Re: sysinst terminated problems upgrading to NetBSD-1.5.2
To: Bolo <bolo@cs.wisc.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/29/2001 12:00:05
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Bolo wrote:

> Single disk install, sd0, buslogic PCI controller, works just fine.
> Booting from boot1.fs, boot2.fs, and I have a SCSI cd drive with a
> cdrom in it to grab the NetBSD install sets from
>
> Sysinst detected the disk, the NetBSD DOS partition, and the NetBSD
> disklabel and its partitions correctly, and fscked them.
>
> After that the display flashed a few times with no visible text output
> to it.  It then cleared leaving the 'sysinst terminated' line at the
> bottom of the display.
>
> Looking at the filesystem, it created /emul, and the start of
> a new /etc with resolv.conf, rc, and one or two other things in
> it.   No fstab.

Maybe 1.5.2 is having trouble with your cdrom drive (or the CD is bad)?
Can you mount the CD and browse it? Maybe you could copy the sets onto
the hard drive and let sysinstall find them there.

> As I mentioned, there is no diagnostic output to tell what went wrong.

You'd think that if the CD were causing problems, there'd be an error
displayed on the console. Does "cat /kern/msgbuf" yield any clues?

Frederick