Subject: sysinst terminated problems upgrading to NetBSD-1.5.2
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bolo <bolo@cs.wisc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/29/2001 00:24:43
[ Yeah, so its a bit of a rant.  I just expected better. ]

I tried upgrading one of my NetBSD-1.0 box using sysinst.  It fails
with a "sysinst terminated".  There is no indication of why it
gives up.  I searched the archives and found many references to this
problem, but no one had any solutions.   There is apparently no way
to find out what sysinst was doing when it it failed.

Compared to the old setup and install, this is rather disappointing.
Especially considering the attitude that "sysinst is the only supported
method of installing NetBSD and any other method is not recommended" --
a summary of earlier responses to the same problem on the mailing list.

So sysinst doesn't work -- big deal I'll do it by hand like the old days.
Hmmm, that doesn't work so well either.  Why?   Well, apparently the
details for hand-installing a NetBSD installation no longer exist.
So instead of having a guide to follow, there is nothing and I have
to make educated guesses about what to do.  That regresses the install
to something worse than installing 4.x BSD from tape.

So what's the story?  It seems somewhat odd that:
	1) The information to do an manual install is no longer available.
	2) The installer which is provided doesn't install
	3) There is no way to debug the installer and find what is broken
It just doesn't make any sense given the kind of project NetBSD is; sure
the installer might not work but it should be debuggable.  OK, maybe it's
not worth it -- but the base technical information to do the install by
hand should be readily available.

Where's the *real* info on how to install or upgrade a
NetBSD-1.5.2 system?   Why is sysinst so important if it doesn't
work well?

Thanks
Bolo -- Josef T. Burger