Subject: Re: more than one X session via virtual consoles?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/18/2001 19:17:36
On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

> The box I run X on is still running 1.4.x.
> If I upgrade it to 1.5.x I get virtual consoles....
> but is it possible to actually have two of those using X?

Yes! Basically, you just configure another screen in
"/etc/wscons.conf", say console 5, and arrange to start the second
Xserver with the appropriate argument, such as "vt06" for console 5.

> I don't like logging out, and my wife occasionally wants to use a
> decent screen to look at photo's.  If she could switch my screen to a
> different virtual console and be able to run X that would be perfect.

I would do that too, for the computer I share with my kids, except the
virtual consoles aren't supported for the Voodoo 3. I was running two
Xservers at different resolutions for a while, though (on a different
computer), and it mostly worked fine. The only problem I recall is,
the Xserver needs to have it's virtual console in the foreground to
finish initializing, so simple adding a line to "Xservers" for "xdm"
didn't quite work, as they both tried to start at nearly the same
time, so I ended up having to start them with a script and also
switching to the second server manually at boot time.

Frederick