Subject: Re: mkhybrid and/or vnconfig problem
To: Todd Kover <kovert@omniscient.com>
From: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/14/2001 09:24:11

> Ages ago, you wrote:
>
>  > You don't happen to be running an athlon on an asus A7V motherboard,
>  > are you?  I finally seem to have stable operation with both -current
>  > and a bios update I got from a funny url that I can dig up if this is
>  > your problem.
>  >
>  > The symptoms of varying results with gzip/gunzip were a feature of
>  > the ide disk drive corruption I was seeing.
>
> please, please share the URL that you got this from if you staill have
> it!  This is precisely the problem I'm seeing with my a7v+athalon and
> I would be delighted if I could fix it once and for all.

I think this is the applicable readme.txt file for the update. I have
the bios update file I used on a floppy, if it isn't available anymore.
I have had this update in my system since the time of the posting and
it has not had drive corruption since. YMMV

Release Date: 04/27/2001 - Braziliantech.com (http://www.braziliantech.com)

BIOS Patch by DANIEL K. (dkbox2000@hotmail.com)

ASUS A7V ACPI BIOS Revision 1008X/FXD - Build Date: 04/27/2001

WARNING: THIS FILE WAS CAREFULLY TESTED, BUT THE AUTHORS OF THIS FIX TAKE
NO RESPONSABILITY
======== FOR ANY DAMAGES.  THIS IS AN UNOFFICIAL BIOS.

CREDITS:
========

VIA IDE CONTROLLER AND SBLIVE! FIX:
----------------------------------

To Michael Doering, all the guys from Au-Ja! (http://www.au-ja.de),
and other peoople.

You can read a complete description of the Fixes and credits
by following this link:

http://home.tiscalinet.de/au-ja/review-kt133a-1.html

INSTALLATION NOTES:
==================

- BIOS Checksum: A00F. Do NOT flash if checksum does not match.

- "CPU Idle Feature" option allows the processor to run cooler when not in use. Please note:
  when this option is enabled, PCI Master Read Caching and Delayed Trnsaction are enabled
  automatically. If enabling "CPU Idle Feature" causes your USB device to not work, or your
  system become unstable, just disable this option.

- The option "Auto-enable PCI MRC & DT" is read-only and cannot be changed.
  PCI MRC = "Master Read Caching" and DT = "Delayed Transaction"

- If you enable "CPU Idle Feature" and you get problems with your soundcard (e.g.: Sound
  Blaster Live!), try to disable "PCI Master to DRAM Prefetch".

RELEASE NOTES:

*04/27/2001*

- New BIOS options: "CPU Idle Feature" and "Auto-enable PCI MRC & DT".

- FXD means: FIXED (enables CPU idle feature)

- X means: Includes features supposed to be fixed in the next official release.

--
Joseph Sarkes		jsarkes@tiac.net