Subject: Re: idle timeouts from isp
To: Jon <jons@dotnet.com>
From: Tobias Anderberg <tobias.anderberg@axis.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/08/2001 10:42:49
Jon wrote:

> Is there a way to prevent an idle timeout from an isp.
>
> i.e. a daemon which sends a small packet out every x number of minutes?
>
> if there is not simply one to do this what is the best and easiest way to do this, can I set up a background process which sends a single ping to the remote machine?

If you are connected via to your ISP via PPP and you are running pppd
2.3.11 and up, you could use the pppd options 'lcp-echo-failure' and
'lcp-echo-interval'. These will send and lcp-echo request to your ISP
with 'lcp-echo-interval' interval and expect an lcp-echo-reply back.
If it doesn't receive one for 'lcp-echo-failure' times, pppd
terminates the connection. See pppd(8) for more information.

If you're not connected via PPP, ping should do the trick, as others
have suggested.

/tba