Subject: Re: Dual boot NetBSD and Linux
To: Tobias Anderberg <tobias.anderberg@axis.com>
From: Rick Byers <rb-netbsd@BigScaryChildren.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/06/2001 16:16:40
Hi,

Where is (was) Lilo installed (the "boot" config file parameter)?  You
probably want to put lilo at the beginning of the Linux boot
partition, which should be a primary partition (i.e. "hda2").  I think the
default (depending on your distribution) may be to put Lilo in the MBR
(beginning of the disk, "hda" - same place the netbsd bootselect code has
to be installed).

Basically the netbsd bootselect code just jumps to the first block of
whatever partition you select.  The OS bootloader should get installed
there (installboot under NetBSD, lilo under linux).

Another option is to put lilo in the MBR and use it as a bootselector.
You just have to add an entry to your lilo.conf like:
other = /dev/hda3
  label = netbsd
  table = /dev/hda
You can then enter "netbsd" at the Lilo prompt and get it to chain-load
(i.e. jump to ) the code at the beginnign of the NetBSD partition.

Rick