Subject: Re: modems and dhclient question
To: None <jons@dotnet.com, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/03/2001 15:34:50

"Bruce Anderson" <brucea@shell.spacestar.net> writes:
> No you don't need dhclient, the ip numbers of your isp's name severs
> do not change.

To be more accurate, DHCP is not used for determining the IP address
for PPP interfaces, or for the DNS server address of the ISP. A
negotiation called IPCP (IP Control Protocol), which is a part of PPP
that happens when the connection is first made, is used to learn this
information. The IP address of the interface is then set by pppd
itself, and the IP address of the DNS server learned from the PPP
server is sent as an argument to the "ip-up" script that's called by
pppd when IPCP is completed - this script can then place the given
address in resolv.conf so that DNS queries work properly. There are
examples of this somewhere on www.netbsd.org (the example I used went
so far as to set my machine up as a NAT gateway so that multiple
machines can use it for Internet access).