Subject: Re: Naive question re: source
To: NetBSD <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/03/2001 11:45:25
On 02.11.01, 11:24:30, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Steven Sartorius wrote:
>
> : I have a (possibly) naive question about building world from source.
> : Yesterday I supped allsrc from the release-1-5 collection.  I built a kernel
> : with no problems (id's itself as 1.5.3_ALPHA) and then tried a 'make build'.
> : This died with the horrific message below:
>
> : > -DFLOATING_POINT -c /usr/src/lib/libc/gen/__glob13.c
> : > cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
>
> : Is the above indicative of a bootstrapping problem or something more
> : severe?
>
> This looks like you may have bad memory, or bad factors relating to memory
> (such as overclocking, setting the memory latency values in the BIOS too
> low, or using a motherboard that isn't as reliable as claimed when running
> at the highest supported FSB speed).
>
> There are standalone (run-from-DOS) memory testing programs out there as
> freeware; one such program is in pkgsrc/sysutils/memtest (it creates a
> dd'able 1.44M bootable floppy image).

Try running "make build" repeatedly after such a failure. The most
tell-tale sign of faulty hardware (as opposed to broken sources) is
that it bails out at different places each time.

There is even a large FAQ page about the most frequent and/or most
likely causes of the infamous "fatal signal 11" error from gcc.

http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD. Not Guano.