Subject: Re: Does i386 support NTFS5 now?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/31/2001 19:56:35
On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 03:34:44PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> files. In addition, there is quite a long list of TODO's before
> ntfs becomes really useful.

I will say that I found NTFS4 support to be amazingly useful shortly
after it was committed to the tree.

My now-wife worked for a local government agency whose computer people
were so .... not computer literate that they couldn't salvage data
from a failed drive.

I'm not talking drive that failed and is a smoking pile of slag. I'm
talking a drive that is bad off enough that NT won't boot. She was
told "it's a $5000 job to recover data from a failed drive!" and
other people were told the same repeatedly.

Fine. Borrow machine, bring home. Add a second drive and install
NetBSD with NTFS4 support compiled in. Mount NTFS drive, mount all
other drives all sync, and tar like there's no tomorrow. The box
would crash when parts of the disk were read, but the next time the
data would come off the disk. Awesome.

I managed to save most everything she needed. It wasn't rocket science.
NetBSD to the rescue!

"It sounded pretty good, but it's hard to tell how it will work out
in practice." -- Dennis Ritchie, ~1977, "Summary of a DEC 32-bit machine"