Subject: Re: Does i386 support NTFS5 now?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/31/2001 15:34:44
In article <Pine.NEB.4.33.0110310947020.19432-100000@Apenheul.BigScaryChildren.net>,
>There is ("limited") write support for NTFS4. Wouldn't that mean NetBSD
>could also write to NTFS5 partitions but without using any of the new
>NTFS5 features?  I haven't tried it personally (my only NTFS partition is
>my W2K boot partition, and I don't want to risk hosing it), but I suspect
>it will work fine.

Having looked at the source, I'd recommend against mounting any
NTFS filesystems read-write until you hear otherwise. Currently
write support consists off: We can write to files but we don't know
how to allocate blocks, so we can only change data in existing
files. In addition, there is quite a long list of TODO's before
ntfs becomes really useful.

christos