Subject: Re: Does i386 support NTFS5 now?
To: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
From: Rick Byers <rb-netbsd@BigScaryChildren.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/30/2001 15:24:25
I don't know what the difference is between ntfs4 and 5, but NetBSD
doesn't appear to make a distinction.  I can read my Windows 2000 NTFS
partition (presumably "ntfs5") no problem under NetBSD-current.  The ntfs
read support is supposed to be very stable (although I have crashed my
machine by experimenting with some of the attribute access stuff).

According to the mount_ntfs manpage, there is "limited support for
writing" (although the limitations seem minor),  but it isn't extensively
tested.  I mount my ntfs partition read-only for now, just to be safe.

Rick