Subject: Is Blue Lightning and IIT FPU supported
To: NetBSD/i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/29/2001 18:43:27
I've got this OEM box made by IBM laying around. It's a bit of an odd beast,
since it's got a Blue Lightning processor as well as an IIT  XC87DLC-33 FPU.
When I first ran the installation kernel, it would hang when detecting a maths
unit on the ISAPNP bus. I removed the IIT FPU, and the next time, it would
reach sysinst. That's odd, I didn't know PC FPUs were on the ISA bus.
Now, however, the thing crashes while I'm downloading or unpacking the
distribution sets. DB complains about a page fault, at least last time I
booted the disks, a few minutes ago.
Searching the mailing list archives for "blue lightning" gives no hits at all.
This leads me to believe that the port-i386 developers might never have had
any chance to work around any quirks in that processor, or perhaps it's just
an indication that it's worked fine for everyone but me. =)
The box is equipped with 24 MB of RAM and a 3C509B. I've also run it with
anpother 3C509B, a WD8013 and several hard drives. I'll have a look at the
memory, but I've been told that it uses IBM parity memory (?), so that might
not be an option.
So what is the status on Blue Lightning an IIT?

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.

"But software which OpenBSD uses and redistributes must be free to all (be
they people or companies), for any purpose they wish to use it, including
modification, use, peeing on, or even integration into baby mulching machines
or atomic bombs to be dropped on Australia."
  - Theo de Raadt