Subject: disklabel questions
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/28/2001 18:17:53
Some questions regarding disklabels:

- Is the "in-core" disklabel the disklabel stored somewhere on  NetBSD
  filesystem?

- Where is the in-core disklabel saved?
  (in /etc/disktab)

- Why is disklabel, of the disk where NetBSD is on, showing an NTFS
  partition with fstype "unused"? NTFS is a recognized filesystem.

- When displaying the disklabel of wd1 (NetBSD is on wd1), it's only
  showing a-e (which is normal since I only have / and /usr). However
  I have 4 more NTFS partitions on the disk.

  - I know how to change the disklabel with (disklabel -e wd1), but
    how can I store this changes that the survive the next reboot?

  - disklabel says that the max. number of labels is 8. However I
    read in a posting here some tome ago that the new number is 16.
    What's correct now?

- After I edit the in-core disklabel of a disk which has no disk
  label, I get the following message:

  disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: No disk label on disk;
  use "disklabel -I" to install initial label

  What happens exactly when I say "disklabel -I"?
  I don't want to trash my MBR.

- Is it correct that mbrlabel just reads the MBR and creates the
  disklabel (in RAM only - not in-core)?

TIA

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg