Subject: Re: me again - problem with dhcpd problem
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Barron <sb125499@oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/27/2001 23:20:37
--F8dlzb82+Fcn6AgP

On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 09:52:16PM -0500, Jon wrote:
> Well I got my dns server going, now I want dhcp on the same machine.
>=20
> I have a friend who has a similar set up and his works and mine doesn't
>=20
> I am running netbsd 1.5.2 and I have in the rc.conf file
>=20
> dhcpd=3DYES
> dhcpd_flags=3D"-q tlp0"
>=20
> When I boot and it comes to the process is comes up with some blurb.
> and when I do ps auxw it doesn't show.
>=20
> So I read the man pages and found the -q is supposed to remove the copyri=
ght, which is the only thing I( can think the blurb is.
>=20
> I can't catch the top of it but the is a big message about not sending re=
quests for help to the authors, send it to the mailing list.
> I don't know if there is an error in my dhcpd.conf file but I is very sim=
ilar to my firends which work so I am confident about that. I created a bla=
nk dhcpd.leases file in=20
> the right place.
>=20
> I see my firned has a .pid file, I do not but I think that is created by =
the process.
>=20
> I read in the manual pages about logging but I was confused, it says it w=
rites it to the syslog but I don't know how to veiw this.
>=20
> Can someone tell me how to see the whole message, hopefully there is an e=
rror at the top.
>=20
> Also I can't get anything to run if I do it from the command line, even j=
ust dhcpd.
>=20
> Thanks
>=20
>=20

Try running it from the command line with:  /etc/rc.d/dhcpd start and
then you can pipe or redirect the message (or scroll up if youre using a
terminal emulator in X).  What does your dhcpd.conf file look like?  The
system logs are typically in /var/log/messages check the end of that
file to see if anything is being reported.  There is a good example of
setting this up on the NetBSD documentation page somewhere in the
networking part.

-Scott

--F8dlzb82+Fcn6AgP

--F8dlzb82+Fcn6AgP--