Subject: Re: 1.5.2 laptop installation stops
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/26/2001 04:25:40
from "Carl Libra" <calibra_2@hotmail.com>:

> Not such a long shot afterall !!

> Disabled the modem and I can install it ....

Could that Diamond SupraExpress 56i ISA modem, jumpered for COM4 (0x2e8), IRQ 5,
possibly have been causing NetBSD kernels (1.5, 1.5.1, 1.5.2, 1.4.3) all to hang
on my computer (Cx486DX2-S at 66 MHz)?  This is a hardware modem, works in DOS,
also worked in OS/2 Warp 4 and Linux prior to my hard drive crash last April 6.
These OSes never autodetected that modem but recognized the modem after I
specified where it was (setserial in Linux).  I don't even know if I could hide
this modem in the BIOS.