Subject: Re: Intresting 486 wierdness....
To: Matt London <netbsd@knm.yi.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/24/2001 09:55:33
On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 03:33:48PM +0100, Matt London wrote:
> Hi guys,
>   I rebuilt an old 486 server of mine (I think it's an acer, but there
> aren't any obvious markings). Now, this box ran dos+win3.1 for years, and
> it also ran linux 1.2.13 without to much problem from what I recall. Tho,
> 2.0.x and some early 2.2 had issues (Bus Error IIRC).
>   It's an EISA+VLB mobo, 48M RAM, onboard dual AIC-7770 SCSI, IDE, floppy,
> serial and parallel. I figured I'd put NetBSD on there (I'm already
> running NetBSD on my VAXen and sparcs) BUT...

I would suggest going into the bios and resetting everything to "default"
if it has that option. (e.g. "Load Failsafe Settings" or something)
Also, disabling the external L2 cache and trying again might help identify
if it is a hardware issue or not.

If you have some marginal cache or other hardware this might be triggered
by the "more intense" use that a NetBSD kernel will give it.  Compared to
running BIOS code under DOS/Win31, the NetBSD kernel is giving the hardware
a workout. :)

-Andrew