Subject: Intresting 486 wierdness....
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Matt London <netbsd@knm.yi.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/24/2001 15:33:48
Hi guys,
  I rebuilt an old 486 server of mine (I think it's an acer, but there
aren't any obvious markings). Now, this box ran dos+win3.1 for years, and
it also ran linux 1.2.13 without to much problem from what I recall. Tho,
2.0.x and some early 2.2 had issues (Bus Error IIRC).
  It's an EISA+VLB mobo, 48M RAM, onboard dual AIC-7770 SCSI, IDE, floppy,
serial and parallel. I figured I'd put NetBSD on there (I'm already
running NetBSD on my VAXen and sparcs) BUT...

it gets part way through extracting files and panics:
panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc
Stopped in pax at       0xc024e178:      leave

That's extracting onto a Quantum ProDrive 540AT (I think) - it's a 540M
quantum drive anyway. NetBSD picks up the right values for it when it
boots, only it doesn't have the correct values when it comes to partition
it. It reports only 1024 cyls not 1152 (I think - I'm going from memory
now), the 1152 is the value in the BIOS (no it doesn't know LBA). But if
you say you want to enter your own geometry it has the correct values as
defaults.

I'll have a rummage for part numbers and stuff if people need more info,
but if this doesn't work, then I'll have to put something else on there
:&/

-- Matt

---
Web Page:
  http://knm.yi.org/
  http://pkl.net/~matt/

PGP Key fingerprint = 00BF 19FE D5F5 8EAD 2FD5  D102 260E 8BA7 EEE4 8D7F
PGP Key http://knm.yi.org/matt-pgp.html