Subject: Re: Adaptek 2940UW w/athlon
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/24/2001 00:03:26
Hi,

On 23 Oct 2001, at 17:40, Kent Polk wrote:
> I'm running an 8k7a with the 2940UW and I don't see any way to
> remap the usb drivers to use another interrupt (I have no usb
> devices), nor do I see how to remap the 2940.
Actually you cannot remap the USB settings IIRC, you will need to
move the 2940 to another PCI slot. As said before, many boards
have associated IRQ devices and it looks like in your case the USB
shares IRQs with the PCI slot the adaptec resides in. You might
wish to disable USB if you do not use it. You might wish to inspect
the "PNP/PCI Configuration Setup" in your mobo Bios. The "INT
Pin1(-4) Assingnment" settings that are set to "Auto" by default
might show what devices are associatet with the PCI slots.

> One question is that all of the devices on the 68pin connector are
> 20M/s IBM, DDRS-3456's (which are stated as being capable of 20M's),
> and the 2940 is set for 20M/s transfers, yet ahc1 insists on running
> the drives at 10M/s:

and

> Is there some way to get the 68-pin devices to run at the 20M/second
> that they are supposedly capable of?

actually they run with 20MB/s, they run at 10MHz with 16Bit bus
rsulting in the nominate 20MB/s. What you might to get are 40MB/s
that is UW or 16Bit at 20MHz. resulting in 40MB/s. Check your 2940
Bios settings, there is somewhere a "enable Ultra SCSI" setting you
need to enable, IIRC that is a global setting, not a per device
setting, but that might also be diferent for several BIOS versions.

HTH

mike