Subject: Re: microtime(9) slow on i386?
To: None <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/23/2001 22:26:50
Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> Actually, I see NO reason why we need to be using microtime() at all.
> The file system code seems perfectly happy with simply accessing
> time, thusly:
>
> 	TIMEVAL_TO_TIMESPEC(&time, &ts);
> 	ITIMES(ip, &ts, &ts, &ts);
>
> I see no reason the pipe code couldn't do the same.  It's not like
> it's absolutely critical that those timestamps be super-accurate.

Yeah, I think so too.

Actually, the sniplet above should be like this AFAICS:
	int s = splclock();
	tv = time;
	splx(s);

I'm going to change the NEWPIPE code to use this instead of microtime(9).

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org> http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/i386/ps2.html
-=  Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserve  =-