Subject: Re: RAID1 Mirror Boot Support
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@kpnQwest.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/23/2001 18:12:58
Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net> writes:

> /dev/sd0 and sd1:
>
> a: size-of-drive-64 64 4.2BSD....
> e: size-of-drive 0 RAID
>
> then on raid0 partition a (from sector 0 of raid) is normal FFS
> filesystem, installboot done on /dev/sd0a, then forced mirror resync.

I tried this, with partitions a at offset 64, c and d at offset 0, d
marked RAID, and then raid0a at offset 0 (which thus becomes 64).
Looked great, until I tried to boot it.  Non-bootable disk.  It seems
that the boot sector got installed at the start of partition a,
instead of at the start of the disk...?  "fdisk /dev/rsd1a" showed the
bootable partition in place, while "fdisk /dev/rsd1d" showed nothing.

Any hints?  Should I have used partition e instead of d, i.e. can it
be that the "specialness" of d is what bit me?  When you say offset 0,
do you mean from the physical start of the disk, or from the start of
partition c, normally at 63?

-tih
--
Puritanism -- the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.