Subject: Re: Thinkpad 600X and NetBSD-1.5.2 iso-cd
To: Christophe Latt <clatt@baaderbank.de>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/23/2001 11:36:30
Christophe Latt <clatt@baaderbank.de> writes:

> Is the Thinkpad 600X not supported by NetBSD-1.5.2 or is my
> Problem only a CD Problem. Wenn booting from CD the kernel
> begin loading and before the first Message appear it hangs!!!
> Is the a particulary Kernel to boot or are the special
> parameters to give at the boot-prompt?

This is because the boot image on the NetBSD cd is a 2.88MB image, but
the Thinkpad BIOS only supports 1.44MB boot images. This has been
reported to IBM, but they've never done anything about it.

Some time ago someone suggested that the NetBSD boot image should be
split into two 1.44MB images or something, but I again I don't think
anything was ever done. I think you can find the relevant threads if
you search back through port-i386 (and possibly netbsd-current)
archives searching for Thinkpad and 2.88.

The two solutions I've used are:

1) Create NetBSD boot floppies, boot from them, then mount the CD and
   run the install.

2) remove the hard disk from your Thinkpad, buy a 2.5 - 3.5 adapter
   (about $10 + shipping at buy.com), plug it into a desktop and
   install, then plug it back into the laptop.