Subject: Re: CMD Technology PCI0649 RAID not working on NetBSD-1.52
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/21/2001 17:31:20
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ioan Nemes" <inemes@transylvania.com.au>
To: <tls@rek.tjls.com>; <port-i386@netbsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2001 01:21 AM

<snip>

> Hmmmm ... I am using them with UnixWare (database servres - Progress),
> and I never had any problems (at least in the past five years)!

Hmmmm indeed.  I just purchased an Intergraph server via ebay, featured
inside is one megaRAID series 428.  Not having had much time to play around
with the beast, I can't speak for it's stability under NT (blech, but I
haven't gotten around to install a Real OS, either!), but it appears that
all the functions available from the installed software are also in the card
firmware.  Am I correct in assuming the NetBSD `support' indicated is on the
order of an interface to the firmware and error/statistics reporting?  Or is
it more in-depth, as in giving access to the physical volumes in addition to
the logical volume presented by the card?  (Another assumption-- that the
logical volume is completely contained in the cards' onboard processor and
shows up as one device on the SCSI bus)

The machine is (hopefully) going to be a bootserver/fileserver in my home
network, so blinding speed isn't really necessary, but I would like to know
if I'm running on the hot spare!

How do I tell if it's an IOP card, or not?  Mine has an Intel '960 CPU on
it.

> Ioan

Bob