Subject: Re: hlds under NetBSD using Linux emulation.
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: jonathan <jonathan@littlepeople.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/21/2001 13:19:31
Hello All,

the machine is a 1.6GHz P4 w/ a 1GB of ram.
Seagate ATA Baracuda4 80GB harddrive...
the HL server is on a second ethernet card in the machine--1st is a
3com 3c905c and 2nd is 3com 3c905b.

I don't think it is a question of usage--if a single person from Far
Away connects then they usually get very high pings--but I can create
several connections from Close By and all get good pings.
The HL server never grabs more than sliver (<10%) of the cpu, and only
a hand-full of the RAM.

The latency ppl don't have any relation to what the pings I see when
I ping their machine (just a regular ping <ip_addr> )
but the other players' ping fluctuates seemingly randomly, but
generally all at once or a group at once.  I don't think it has
anything to do with the network--there are very few students here
right now, and if I run this on a linux machine, I don't get the
IP_MULTICAST_LOOP error and pings are fine for what small amount
of testing I have done.

occationally I will see messages from CounterStrike when logging on that
mention IP_MULTICAST_LOOP, but I'm never quick enough to write it down.

Thank you!
Jonathan