Subject: Re: problem with user in 16+ groups
To: None <paul@mail.me.maar.nu>
From: Phil Nelson <philnelson@home.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/20/2001 19:07:03
>We have stumbled across a truly weird limit. After adding a certain
>user to 16 groups, the user can't log in anymore :

Other people have found this limit also.  I'm one of them.  I found
you can recompile the kernel with a new limit, but you need to
recompile several user land programs that deal with groups also.  And
on top of that, you will need to change a constant in an include
file in the /usr/include tree before recompiling the utilities.

In other words, it isn't as easy as changing a compile constant in your
kernel config file.  I did it before, but it did cause problems in
many places.

This is one reason that talk Access Control Lists have been seen on
the NetBSD lists.   That addition could make some things easier ...
but if you still wanted one user on 16+ groups, you will have to
recompile your kernel.

--
Phil Nelson
e-mail: philnelson@home.com  (Work: phil@cs.wwu.edu)