Subject: Re: CMD Technology PCI0649 RAID not working on NetBSD-1.52
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: David <neko@linuxboxen.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/20/2001 06:23:54
On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 01:46:42AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 07:13:50PM -0700, David wrote:
>
> I have no idea about ServeRAID performance.  I do note that IBM bought
> Mylex, and I believe that the ServeRAID line has been deprecated in
> favor of the newer Mylex adapters.

Okay, I was hoping to be able to use this IBM card, since I already use one in a Debian PPro server, and the manager works very well with it.  The support on these ServeRAID cards are climing on each OS.  I will keep an eye out for the NetBSD kernel support.

> Mylex made cards that used an old proprietary interface (the "DAC960"
> cards) that's supported by our "mlx" driver, cards that did I2O (and
> possibly also the "mlx" interface) (the ExtremeRAID 1164 and AcceleRAID
> 100, 150, 200, and 250 and possibly the ExtremeRAID 3000) and cards that
> do *not* do I2O but do a newer Mylex-proprietary interface (the AcceleRAID
> 160, 170, and 352, and ExtremeRAID 2000) that is supported by our "mly"
> driver.

Knowing the DAC960 will work, I will put that in, but I suppose I will have to set it up from a seperate OS such as DOS or Linux and give it a shot.

> The "mlx" and "mly" cards have special Linux configuration widgets.  There
> is some effort to support those in the drivers but AFAIK it's not really
> complete.  If it did get completed (perhaps by you) you could run the
> appropriate configuration utilities under Linux.

Perhaps the varmon tool from Linux might work under linux_compat? I'll try both, but I'm sure the mlx is more reliable.

David