Subject: Re: CMD Technology PCI0649 RAID not working on NetBSD-1.52
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/19/2001 11:13:05
On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Christos Zoulas wrote:

: >I have a CMD Technology PCI0649 card, which is a PCI IDE RAID controller
: >that does RAID0 (striping), RAID1 (mirroring), and RAID0+1 (striping+
: >mirroring) with cheap IDE drives.

: Raidframe is software raid provided by the NetBSD kernel. What you need
: is for the kernel to recognize the raid card and know how to talk to it
: as a raid card not just as a plain wdc controller. I don't know if your
: card has a driver in /current. Does linux support it?

To my knowledge, the PCI0649 is a plain pciide card with special BIOS that
allows it to boot a Windows-based OS off of a striped or mirrored set
(similarly to the Promise FastTrak66, which is just an Ultra66 with a
different BIOS disguise).  The RAID work for this card is handled by Windows
software drivers provided by CMD.

For the purposes of NetBSD, using it as a plain pciide and setting up
RAIDframe its "normal" way would be the ideal situation....

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/