Subject: Have Pity on a Mac User
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hbhotz@oxy.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/18/2001 23:47:20
OK, I just got a brand new HP 1200.  I thought I could save the extra
$200 for an HP JetDirect box for it and connect it directly to an old
PC that I got as a general NetBSD server for my home network.  I
can't get it working.

The parallel port kind of works if I do a cat - >/dev/lpt0, but if I
set it up in /etc/printcap the PC crashes whenever something is
printing.  I've checked that the port is set for irq 7 and is opened
bidirectionally (:rw:).  There are four modes in the BIOS for the
port and mostly I've been using compatable.  I did take a spin
through the other three and I didn't seem to matter.

The other way I could connect the printer is via USB.  When I plug it
in it gets recognized as ugen0, not ulpt0.  Can't cat to /dev/ugen0
so I figure it's hopeless to try that in /etc/printcap.

I'm running NetBSD 1.5.1.  Would 1.5.2 or -current make a difference?

Not subscribed to this list.  Please reply directly.  Will report
results if I get it working and it's not something stupid and obvious.