Subject: Re: Adaptek 2940UW w/athlon
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dan Melomedman <dmelomed@devonitnet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/18/2001 18:25:08
This brings up another question. On my Athlon motherboard (DFI AK76-SN), all
IRQs above 9 want to be shared, the BIOS simply wants them shared, and the
CMOS config does not have means to disable IRQ sharing (there are plenty of
spare IRQs below IRQ9). It was said Windows deals with this with ACPI by
reassigning IRQs to devices after boot. It's possible the mobo manufacturer
simply assumed all of us will be running Windows, and did not provide any
configs in CMOS setup for dealing with shared IRQs. My older ASUS P5A
motherboard never had IRQ sharing problems, and by default BIOS wasn't
sharing them, in addition the CMOS setup had a configuration menu for per
slot IRQ assignments. That said, does your motherboard share IRQs? If it
does, that might as well be your answer, since sharing IRQs should lower
performance.