Subject: Problems with the le driver
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Hysteriaweb <hysteriaweb@iosys.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/15/2001 14:02:32
Did anyone solve the below problem? I am having exactly the same problem and was just wondering!

Subject: BICC Isolan le0 "failed to initialize"
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/21/1999 14:46:21
  I picked up a BICC Isolan Ethernet card at a garage sale over
the weekend (16-bit, uses the bicc/le drivers).  When I plopped
it in and booted a kernel with appropriate drivers, it doesn't
appear to work.  Here's a bit more details.  Can anyone tell me
if the card is trash/busted, or if there's just some little tweak
I need to do?

  dmesg output (trimmed severely, of course):
bicc0 at isa0 port 0x320-0x32f irq 10 drq 7
le0 at bicc0: BICC Isolan Ethernet
le0: address f9:00:00:00:00:00
le0: 8 receive buffers, 2 transmit buffers

  The address of f9:00:00:00:00:00 looks suspicious to me.

  ifconfig le0 prints:
le0: flags=8823<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        media: Ethernet manual
	status: no carrier

  The "no carrier" is what strikes me here.  I get the same
result, whether or not it is null-connected to another card in
another box (at which point, the LED on the other card goes on,
as it is happy with the cable).

  When I bring it down and up again, I get the following repeated
message (only two times per up attempt):
le0: controller failed to initialize
le0: controller failed to initialize

  I tried looking at the device driver, and that message occurs
when the card never completes initialization.  The man page
didn't mention any link flags or anything like that.  Anyone have ideas?

  Thanks in advance.
  Brian