Subject: Re: Off the wall HDC question
To: None <rafal@mediaone.net>
From: None <CaptnZilog@aol.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/15/2001 13:08:20
In a message dated 10/15/01 12:01:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rafal@mediaone.net writes:

> In message <8d.ddc9335.28fc54b5@aol.com>, you write:
>
>  -> Either that, or docs on the WD chipsets used on these boards.  The
board
> I'm
>  ->  specifically interested in is the WD7000 which is an ESDI/SCSI combo.
> The
>  -> docs I have give a bunch of info on programming the SCSI side, but
> nothing o
>  -> n the ESDI side.
>
>  As far as I recall, the WD7000 was just a SCSI controller, not a SCSI/EDSI
>  combo.  The ESDI controllers were the WD1007 series (again, IIRC), which
>  looked like a ST506 controller from the software POV.
>
>  --rafal

Well... this is an old Apollo WD7000 controller, actually WD7000xx, don't
offhand remember what the letters were after it.. OEM version for Apollo with
a 68K PROM on it instead of x86.... its actually a combo FDC/ESDI-HDC/SCSI
card.  Under the Apollo's, the disk was formatted to 1K sectors, which isn't
so good for NetBSD.  I'm looking to see if I can format just a part of the
drive as 1K sectors (Apollo-style filesystem to boot from) and find a way to
partition/format the rest as 512-byte sectors.   Ought to be an interesting
challenge...

I actually found a format utility in source, in 'c', for WD style
controllers... I'll have to play with it and see what I can do.

Pete