Subject: Re: IBM Thinkpad 380ED serial port issues
To: None <wolf_fire@ithink.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/14/2001 15:03:52
In message <B0017632722@>, Ross writes:
>Greetings,
>
>I have a Thinkpad 380ED running NBSD 1.5.2.  There are 2 built in serial
>ports and one 3com 562D/563D modem/ethernet combo card in it.  The first
>serial port, com 1, is the interface for the Infrared port. The second is the
>standard 9 pin port in the back.  Com 4 (or com 3 in BSD) is the PCMCIA modem
>combo.
>
>My problem is this:  I originally bought the laptop in order to interface it
>with my Autostar telescope controller from Meade.  The serial port
>communicates fine under windows with the autostar.  On NetBSD I've tried to
>run the Autostar with XEphem (v. 3.4) with no success.  Their is no
>communication and I don't really know which serial port NetBSD is seeing,
>since during boot there are only 2 showing up, one being the modem in the
>combo card.  I don't care about the IR interface, but there is no way that i
>can see to disable the IR interface in BIOS to see which port the kernel is
>"seeing".  To be honest, the BIOS menu on this laptop seems mostly useless
>other than choosing a boot device.  "Idiot proof" I suppose which means it's
>also geek proof :(.
>
>I'm using the stock laptop kernel, but i've also tried with enabling the PNP
>type serial port interfaces and recompiling which didn't help either.
>
>Does anyone else own a 380ED here and can guide me with proper settings for
>the serial ports, or know if there are any other issues with this model?
>Everything else works perfectly, video, sound, ethernet.  Just weird stuff
>with the serial ports.  Too bad the Autostar doesn't interface via ethernet
>:(.

I don't have a 380ED; however, I've used several other Thinkpads.

First, try the PS2 utility from DOS mode.  On my T21, that's how I
enable and disable COM ports.  Second, try to get hold of a breakout
box, or at least an external modem -- that would let you see if DTR is
being asserted on open, etc., and let you narrow down which port is
which.  Finally, use Windows to figure out which I/O ports are which
devices, and match that against the dmesg output from NetBSD.

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com