Subject: Re: Intels c/c++ compiler on NetBSD, was Re: c compilers
To: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/14/2001 10:46:47
emanuel stiebler wrote:

> Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
> > The Linux version of the Intel compiler ought to be able to be smashed into
> > generating native NetBSD executables with only a little bit of work; ELF is
> > ELF, after all.
>
> So did anybody tried it already ?
> Experience with it ?

I'm having a little play with it now.  Our header files don't play
nicely at all (function renaming and gcc extensions like format
attributes seem to be the biggest problems), but the resultant code
with some editing seems to work ok.  Some benchmark tests show roughly
7% faster for some integer code like md5 and upto 2.5x faster for some
heavy FP benchmarks.

It does have some extensive compile warnings, and has picked out a bug
or two in our kernel that gcc's warnings didn't find.

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/