Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD in a Logical DOS partition.
To: Aurelio Turco <azt@bom.gov.au>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/11/2001 11:14:48
On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 09:08:42AM +0000, Aurelio Turco wrote:

> My hard-disk is partitioned as follows:
>
>   1   Primary           HPFS/NTFS [W2K]
>   2   Primary           HPFS/NTFS [W2K Data]
>   3   Primary           CompaqDiagnostics [?]
>   4   Extended
>             Logical       Linux native
>             Logical       Linux swap
>             Logical       Linux native
>             Logical       vacant
>
> I would like to install NetBSD in this last Logical partition.
>
> Is this possible?

Unfortunately not. This is because of 2 reasons: the installer
does't do extended partitions, and the kernel won't find its
root filesystem if it's inside an extended partition.

I noticed the other day that the ofppc port does in fact already
deal with extended partitions, it wouldn't be hard to add
it to the i386 port. It's not that much work overall, it's
just not been completely done so far.

The NetBSD bootselector won't work with extended partitions
itself, since it's designed to be small (fit into one sector),
so there's simply no room for the extra code.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com
Quality NetBSD CDs, Support & Service.   http://www.wasabisystems.com/