Subject: Re: Which is better: rp-pppoe or mouse-pppoe?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/08/2001 18:01:27
In article <200110081349.JAA19225@pikachu.cyberstation.ca>,
	Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca> writes:
> Which is better on NetBSD ix86:
>
> 	net/rp-pppoe (Roaring Penguin's PPPoE)

I use this package for month without any problems.

> 	net/mouse-pppoe (derMouse's PPPoE)

I never tried it because of the lack of documentation.

> Both NetBSD packages do PPPoE, but rp-pppoe is much larger than
> mouse-pppoe, and my Linux friends tell me

"rp-pppoe" includes a PPPoE server, documentation, wrapper scripts and a
configuration utility.

> ... that rp-pppoe uses up a lot of server resources when it is in use.

He is right about that. But "mouse-pppoe" will probably do so, too.
You need a kernel PPPoE implementation to improve that situation.
NetBSD-current has PPPoE kernel support but it is still in an
exerimental state.

> Does anyone know the advantages/disadvantages of each PPPoE
> package?

"rp-pppoe" is well documented and supports MSS clamping which can
save you lots of trouble if you have a LAN behind your NetBSD box.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/