Subject: Re: NetBSD weakness..
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/04/2001 10:12:13
On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 03:08:07PM +0200, Havard Eidnes wrote:
> > Another question about login ... When i need superuser privileges i
> > noticed that it's not fast as i was used with freebsd to switch from
> > 'normal user' to root.  After the password request it requires some
> > seconds to give me the shell prompt.
> > What's the exact sequence of process involved in  'su -'?
>
> If I'm not terribly mistaken, the Kerberos code built into `su' will
> at least try to do a DNS lookup to determine it's realm (if any).  If
> your name server setup isn't as responsive as it should be, you'll see
> a delay.  The Kerberos code path in `su' can be avoided by handing

Of course, "not as responsive as it should be" might mean "completely
wrong".  If /etc/resolv.conf is not present or has the wrong contents,
you'll get mysterious long pauses like this.  Worth looking into.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron