Subject: Re: NetBSD weakness..
To: None <andrea@practive.org>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/04/2001 15:08:07
> Another question about login ... When i need superuser privileges i
> noticed that it's not fast as i was used with freebsd to switch from
> 'normal user' to root.  After the password request it requires some
> seconds to give me the shell prompt.
> What's the exact sequence of process involved in  'su -'?

If I'm not terribly mistaken, the Kerberos code built into `su' will
at least try to do a DNS lookup to determine it's realm (if any).  If
your name server setup isn't as responsive as it should be, you'll see
a delay.  The Kerberos code path in `su' can be avoided by handing
`su' the `-K' option (which can be conveniently hidden away via a
shell alias).

Regards,

- H=E5vard