Subject: Re: NetBSD weakness..
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/04/2001 15:04:53
> > 2) Often i got a 'No More Process' error
>
> This means that there's something very, very wrong with your
> configuration; something (perhaps your login script?) is running a
> huge number of processes that don't exit.

Hm, some of my information may be old; please bear with me.  Wasn't
there earlier a per-user-id limit on the number of processes that user
could create?  My workstation kernel config contains

options         MAXUPRC=3D400     # single-user machine, allow lots of =
processes

which I added quite a while back.  MAXUPRC is defined in <sys/param.h>,=

and defaults to CHILD_MAX if it's not overridden in the kernel config.
CHILD_MAX is in <sys/syslimits.h> and has a value of 80.  That's a
litmit which is particularly difficult to exceed in a single-user
workstation running X11.  I'm not entirely certain whether that
per-user-id limit would be lifted simply by doing "limit maxproc xxx"
(or the corresponding Bourne shell dance) in the login shell.

Regards,

- H=E5vard