Subject: Re: NetBSD weakness..
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: User Andrea <andrea@practive.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/04/2001 10:43:49
Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 12:41:01PM +0000, User Andrea wrote:
> > [...]
> > Another question about login ... When i need superuser privileges i
> > noticed that it's not fast as i was used with freebsd to switch from
> > 'normal user' to root.After the password request it requires some
> > seconds to give me the shell prompt.
>
> On my systect it takes very short time:
> rochebonne:~> /usr/bin/time su
> Password:
> rochebonne#/home/bouyer>exit
>         1.87 real         0.01 user         0.02 sys
>
> (most of the time is used to type the passwd :)
>
> 'su -' is a bit slower (1 more second on my system) because it starts a login
> shell. The shell has more work do to and source more files (e.g. su to a user
> with a [t]csh shell will source only .cshrc; while su - will also source
> .login).
> root's .login will call 'tset -Q' which takes some time (without this, on my
> system su and su - uses the same time). Did you check root's .login ?
>
> --
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
> --
It's not only a matter a time,sometimes happens that i cannot become
super-user 'cause the su process 'hang'.
If i'm already superuser it's all OK, but if i try to switch from
'normal user' to super it hangs somewhere.
I tried deleting any shell script in my home directory and in /etc
/csh.cshrc .cshrc .login .... ),but  without success.
Now ,i'm wondering what else to do ?
Mine is a 'vanilla' NetBSD installation except for Kernel
configuration,so the problem has to be  in the authentication ... but as
far as i can remember NetBSD doesn't use things like PAM or something
else ...so what can go wrong?

Thanks!