Subject: Re: DUMMY_NOPS
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/2001 23:02:32
On 03-Lok-01, Charles wrote:

> I've often thought that we should have a separate kernel configuration
> for "Pentium or newer" machines.  We could do both of these, as well as
> disable a lot of the 486 workarounds in copyout*(), etc, and get some
> improvement.  Maybe even have it use different GCC optimizations
> ("-march=pentium"?).  Anyone care enough to do it?

Is there any reason what would prevent me to tweak my local kernel
makefiles and set -march=pentium or -march=pentiumpro. Would it break
anything, or is it safe to just do.

At least on amiga port, IIRC, it was possible and safe to just write
-m68040 to the kernel makefiles.

Of course this is not a real solution; it really would be nice if this
kind of behaviour would be available out of the box when starting to
compile a new kernel.

--
Arto Huusko (arto.huusko@utu.fi) | Diving Is Fun