Subject: Re: NetBSD weakness..
To: User Andrea <andrea@practive.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/2001 21:37:55
On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 12:41:01PM +0000, User Andrea wrote:
> [...]
> Another question about login ... When i need superuser privileges i
> noticed that it's not fast as i was used with freebsd to switch from
> 'normal user' to root.After the password request it requires some
> seconds to give me the shell prompt.

On my systect it takes very short time:
rochebonne:~> /usr/bin/time su
Password:
rochebonne#/home/bouyer>exit
        1.87 real         0.01 user         0.02 sys

(most of the time is used to type the passwd :)

'su -' is a bit slower (1 more second on my system) because it starts a login
shell. The shell has more work do to and source more files (e.g. su to a user
with a [t]csh shell will source only .cshrc; while su - will also source
.login).
root's .login will call 'tset -Q' which takes some time (without this, on my
system su and su - uses the same time). Did you check root's .login ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>