Subject: Re: one floppy router
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Rob Quinn <rquinn@sec.sprint.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/02/2001 15:02:40
> On a CD sure, but that is not exactly the "single floppy router" that was
> asked about.  Often older machines are used for routers and they may not even
> have a CDROM drive

 Yeh, well.... you can't have everything.

> and if they do it is not all that likely that it can be booted.

 But part of making the boot CD is making a boot floppy image (just the kernel,
not the full filesystem). The machines I tried that couldn't boot directly from
a CD were still able to "bounce" from this floppy to the CD. I only tried three
or four though.

> I think it is a great idea to have an easy to use CD based system that can
> "run from memory", but that implies a machine with fairly modern hardware.

> I've been working on getting the basics on a small compact flash for a router
> project.  It is hard enough getting the important stuff onto a 16MB flash!

 Hmmm, which one sounds more modern?