Subject: Re: one floppy router
To: Rob Quinn <rquinn@sec.sprint.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/02/2001 11:51:46
On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 01:59:40PM -0400, Rob Quinn wrote:

> >> shouldn't be a problem. put init, /etc/rc, pppd, libraries, ifconfig, route,
> >> ipf, sh, etc etc... to ffs image, compile kernel and put that ramdisk to
> >> that kernel, gzip and put to floppy.
> > Where can I ftp your 1.44MB image that does this?
>
>  A basic install with your favorite packages will still leave hundreds of megs
> free.

On a CD sure, but that is not exactly the "single floppy router" that was
asked about.  Often older machines are used for routers and they may not even
have a CDROM drive, and if they do it is not all that likely that it can be
booted.
I think it is a great idea to have an easy to use CD based system that can
"run from memory", but that implies a machine with fairly modern hardware.

I've been working on getting the basics on a small compact flash for a router
project.  It is hard enough getting the important stuff onto a 16MB flash!

-Andrew