Subject: Re: NetBSD installation
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/01/2001 22:26:53
Quoting Frederick Bruckman (26-Sep-01 16:08:02):

> On 26 Sep 2001, Georges Heinesch wrote:

>> But the best is Frederick's data (also an early posting in this
>> thread):

> I'd like to remind you, that this doesn't indicate a bug in NetBSD.
> That partition table was "fixed" by PartitionMagic -- from the very
> company that made the tool that's complaining about NetBSD's MBR.

I believe I found the problem (not sure though).

It's not a matter whether I would like to gain 8 MB of my disk.

 *  My point is that I would like to know whether this is "normal"
 *  that the first cylinder cannot be used by an extended partition?
 *
 *  I see 3 possibilities:
 *      1. Yes, it's "normal".
 *      2. An error on my disk.
 *      3. A PartitionMagic bug

That's what it's all about!

BTW, I tested the same with another disk. Also there, it was not
possibile to resize the extended partition to the left over the first
cylinder. The most left I got was cylinder 1.

In other words ... I found out (no confirmation yet) that the first
cylinder (cylinder 0) cannot be used by an extended partition?!

Georges

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    geohei@geohei.lu

... N1, TO/GA, 80 KTS, V1, ROTATE, Postive climb, Gear up ...