Subject: Re: Problem with Lucent Orinoco wireless on ThinkPad 760ED
To: Eric Gillespie, Jr. <epg@pretzelnet.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/01/2001 00:19:58
On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 09:40:00PM -0500, Eric Gillespie, Jr. wrote:
> Today i decided to upgrade my laptop from Debian GNU/Linux to
> NetBSD 1.5.2 (i'm a long-time NetBSD user, but i originally
> installed Debian because i thought NetBSD didn't support the
> wavelan cards).  All i have are floppies for install media, so i
> decided to try ferrying only base.tgz from one of my other
> computers to the laptop via floppy.  Then i figured i'd boot it
> single user, configure my 802.11 PCMCIA card, and use netcat to
> get the rest of the sets over (i put the netcat binary on a
> floppy :).
>
> My plan isn't working, unfortunately, because i can't get the NIC
> configured.  I run the following commands:

You need to bring up lo0 (with address 127.0.0.1) or sundry network
things will misbehave.  You need to create an /etc/resolv.conf with
the appropriate nameservice configuration in it, or "ping" will pause
for a Really Long Time because it can't reverse-resolve the IP address
you feed it.  etc. etc.