Subject: what is and isn't in INSTALL
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/30/2001 23:07:35
Some very strange choices seem to have been made about what is and what
isn't in INSTALL on the i386, particularly as regards network interfaces.

For example, I have a great deal of difficulty believing that anyone's
ever required one of the synchronous serial interfaces in order to get his
box installed.  Similarly, supporting ATM in the install kernels pulls in
a great deal of code, but probably isn't very useful; we don't support the
standard ATM modes that would be required to talk to anything anyone's likely
to use as a default router aside from perhaps another NetBSD box.

On the other hand, I don't see why we *omit* all of the Gigabit Ethernet
interfaces from the install kernels with the curious exception of gsip.

Anyone care to comment?  I'm inclined to just go ahead and make this a bit
more sane.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron