Subject: Problem with Lucent Orinoco wireless on ThinkPad 760ED
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Gillespie, Jr. <epg@pretzelnet.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/30/2001 21:40:00
Today i decided to upgrade my laptop from Debian GNU/Linux to
NetBSD 1.5.2 (i'm a long-time NetBSD user, but i originally
installed Debian because i thought NetBSD didn't support the
wavelan cards).  All i have are floppies for install media, so i
decided to try ferrying only base.tgz from one of my other
computers to the laptop via floppy.  Then i figured i'd boot it
single user, configure my 802.11 PCMCIA card, and use netcat to
get the rest of the sets over (i put the netcat binary on a
floppy :).

My plan isn't working, unfortunately, because i can't get the NIC
configured.  I run the following commands:

ifconfig wi0 media DS11 nwkey xxxxxx
ifconfig wi0 inet 192.168.1.51 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255
route add default 192.168.1.1

At this point running 'ifconfig wi0' reports the correct
information, including the nwid (which it figures out by itself,
just like in GNU/Linux).  No problems have been reported, but it
still doesn't work.  I can ping neither my gateway nor my Airport
(192.168.1.50, configured in bridge mode).

My wife has an identical laptop and NIC, and both cards work on
hers (running Debian) but i can't get either to work on mine.

I'm wondering if my assumption that i could get away with just
base.tgz (i didn't even unpack etc.tgz) isn't incorrect.  Am i
missing something?  Have i done something wrong?

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr.
mailto:epg@pretzelnet.org <*> jabber:pretzelgod@jabber.org

"This movie sure is gory!"